Sunday, April 3, 2011

Album Review: Ex Wife- Everything Was Beautiful


Yes, I'm pretty sick of everyone quoting Vonnegut: "everything was beautiful and nothing hurt." But honestly, the use of those words has never sounded less derivative.

It seems like everyone is extremely excited about Ex Wife's newest EP, June. As I was unable to purchase it from Bandcamp or download it from MediaFire, I am woefully behind the curve and am reviewing their only full length, Everything Was Beautiful, which came out last year or something. Yet, its new to me and perhaps to you, too.

Ex Wife makes me want to rock out, which you may or may not know- I don't do very often. I am seduced by the spare lyrics of these songs and the catchy blend of emo/hardcore/pop that these New Jersey natives are creating.

I feel like this review is already falling flat because I can't express the way these tracks resonate with me, feeling somehow like being a teenager again sitting in my empty garage smoking a cigarette, feeling sad for the sake of it. Simultaneously, knowing that the same sadness I craved so long ago isn't glamorous or beautiful. It just hurts. Everything Was Beautiful speaks to the girl on either side of the timeline of growing up.

I've only heard the title track from the newest EP and it is immediately evident that the two men behind Ex Wife don't intend to rehash an old sound-- although they seem to be rehashing old subject matter. Whatever. It never gets old to me. With lyrics like these (do you still feel so cold even though you now own half my clothes? they fit you better anyway. youve ruined this place for me but its okay. ill find another park to do drugs and waste away. ill be fine i guess, ive just been seeing you everywhere in your favorite dress, the summer in your hair.) I can't wait to spend the summer in the high desert with this as company.

Download Everything Was Beautiful Here: http://www.mediafire.com/?zwgwrrwgnwm
Buy or listen to June EP Here: http://exwife.bandcamp.com/track/june

No comments:

Post a Comment