Tuesday, November 30, 2010

On Personal Relationships

Someone I admired told me: I would say, get over it. It's a horrible way to spend your time, being brokenhearted. And if you do it too long, something even worse is bound to happen and then you'll feel like it's too much to handle. I guess just keep in mind that the world is an awesome and amazing place. If you don't like what's happening, change it. Go somewhere. I always feel better when I'm moving. I also always feel better when I go outside, get out in the nature of the world.

Seriously, I have the transcript.

Another wise man told me: Personal relationships in this world are purely instrumental in meeting the need of the moment. They are fleeting and kaleidoscopic, though correspondingly intense. After all, no obligations or pressures- financial, legal, social or ethical- keep people together. The only cement for personal relationships is the need and desire of the moment, and nothing is stronger but more fickle than need and desire unshackled by obligation.

And I told myself: Maggie, self-absorption is sooooo boring.

I just like boys. And dogs. But I get too attached to them. I'm very lucky that some people I hold in esteem will talk to me on the phone for hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment